Monday, October 31, 2011

Vogue 1259 - Donna Karen Top

Done!

Because of all of the lovely snow we got (over 10"), I had all of yesterday to work on the top and got it done.  Prior to that, I only had one seam finished. 


For the most part, the directions were pretty clear and the top wasn't that hard to make.  There are a few steps, about halfway through the instructions that you just have to trust, carefully observe the diagrams and sew.  It does help to have a dress form and put the top on the dress form during some of the pinning.  Clearly marking each fabric piece on the front and back with the pattern piece number helps, too.  You can use a piece of masking tape, writing the  number on the tape, and it will be fairly easy to remove. 

I'm pretty happy with this top, and like the color better than I thought I would.  The only things I would change is to finish the back opening a little differently so that the facings stay inside, shorten it a bit and cut a smaller size next time.  I used a size 8 and probably should have cut a size 6, as the front drape sags rather than draping nicely.  Tightening it up might help it, but this is the sort of pattern that you really can't judge the fit until the whole thing is complete.


I'm not sure if I'd make this one again, but I do like the fact that it is super comfortable to wear, yet is way more interesting than a plain t-shirt.  I wore it today with jeans and a black sweater, but probably could pair it with many of my plaid skirts and other sweaters. 


Parting Shot:  Mt. Flume.  Saturday's hike was  trip to Mt. Flume in the Franconia Range.  The summit is in the distance just over by the trees, and the summits of Lincoln and Lafayette are in the background, covered with snow.  The weather was sunny when we started, but soon clouded up and probably contributed to us moving along so that we could get off the mountain and home safely.  It had just started to snow at my house when I pulled into the driveway.

11 comments:

Vicki said...

Nice. It looks good with the jeans. Something different.

Vicki W said...

It's really cute with jeans but it looks a little late for your weather!

AllisonC said...

That was fast! I guess we have the snow to thank for that, I love it and the colour is gorgeous (& versatile) for a top - looks great with denim.

Gordita said...

It looks great! I really didn't consider making this top as a stand-alone. Thanks for the idea.

Bunny said...

Glad you had power to at least get some sewing done. I love the blouse and color on you. Looks great.

Both DDs have been out of power for two days.The one that lives on the North Shore is hanging out at the home of her sister in NH. Sister has a generator that automatically kicks in and runs the house as soon as the power is out. Lots of trees are down in her area. Glad you got home safe and sound.

sewing spots said...

That is one of the prettiest tops I have ever seen! I would never have thought it when I saw the pattern--funny. Anyway, it turned out very well.

JustGail said...

The top looks good on you. I'm not seeing the sagging that you mentioned. It seems like this is one of those patterns that could go from draped & gathered to stuffed-sausage look fast.

Suzanne said...

Wonderful top. And I agree..nicer than just a plain t-shirt.

Marie-Noƫlle said...

I love the top on you. You were so fast for that kind of pattern

Cennetta said...

Great looking top. I love it. I'm glad to hear it not difficult to make.

Tany said...

I love it in yellow and this top it's an eye catcher in spite of being easy to wear IMO. You really did a fantastic job on this one!