Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Flash and Trash -  Part XX

The Last Touches for the Hat

In order to finish up the hat, I needed to bind the edges.  I chose to use the green silk dupioni as it is so nice to work with on the bias.  The bias is hand stitched to both the back and the front of the hat:



The hat also needed an elastic band so that it can be worn.  This was easy to make from black elastic cord and is just stitched in place near the edge.


Nothing is complete without a label, so I added one of those, too:


Now I have a hat:


I'm really happy with it and it wasn't hard at all to make!  It didn't cost anything, either.  I had all the supplies.  Now, I've got to do something about a skirt and then this ensemble will be done.  I think if I am creative, I can make a matching skirt for no extra money, too.

Parting Shot:  Not Listening.  As you can see, talking to Wellie has no effect.  He is going to sit on the fabric whether you want him to or not, which makes it hard to cut out my next project!

8 comments:

Bunny said...

This little fascinator is fabulous wiht it's colors and silk flowers. Will it have some net or something extending skyward, for lack of a better description?

I think we have all fallen in love with fascinators in the past week or so. Your hat looks gorgeous with its orange and blue colors. Those hues really speak to me.

Joan said...

Cats' ears are specially designed so that they hear only the food dish rattling.

Gwen said...

Wow! It's amazing! :)

Schmoomom said...

Hahaha! Just last night I had a cat rolling around on my pattern pieces that I was trying to lay on fabric. For some reason he feels I need him to try it out first...

Heather said...

Beautiful little hat. Love it!

BConky said...

The hat is a hoot. Can't wait to see it on you. My cats won't stay off the fabric either. My kitten is a pattern attack cat. He drives me nuts with his sneak attacks. He steals zippers, elastic and even fabric. He's a mess.

elizabeth said...

What are all the ribbons that are hanging overhead for?
(just curious)

Tany said...

I love the little hat! Wonderful job!