Spring's First Blush - Part XIV
During the whole construction of the skirt, I'd been thinking of how I was going to finish off that waist. The original pattern called for an attached waistband. I knew I didn't have enough fabric to make a waistband. Really, there isn't even enough left for that. The next best thing is a simple and clean faced waist. I got some inspiration from MaryBeth's post on her favorite waistline finish.
Since the fashion fabric is quilted, I decided to skip the petersham that MaryBeth uses. That and I'd have to order it anyway, because you know I won't be buying that locally. I decided to use a simple bias band finish. I had to piece the bias together, but I had enough to get around the entire waistband. I simply layered the skirt and lining together properly, then shaped and stitched the bias strip right sides together with the skirt.
I turned it to the inside and hand stitched it to the lining. As part of the finishing, I added a small tab on the inside with a snap. I covered up the snap stitching with a pretty little flat button from my collection:
All that's left is the hem and label and then I can work on the blouse!
Parting Shot: New Fabric. I ordered up some fabric from Fabricmart for a suit for my brother's wedding (more on that later this week) and also picked up a few other pieces. The denim is for my daughter, she really loved it. It is a flocked denim, similar to flocked taffeta. It should make a cool skirt and I'm pretty sure I have fabric to match for a top!