Without further ado, the front and back:
Here's the dress without the vest, although I still need to switch the zipper! I hope to get the zipper in the mail today!
My daughter was the photographer last night, as it was past my son's bedtime before we actually starting taking pictures. She was excited because she just loves the really full skirt and because she missed seeing it the last time I tried it on because she was somewhere else at the time. She loves the sort of pose shown below, so she took plenty of those. Here's one of the better ones of the group:
Overall, I am very pleased with this ensemble - it turned out pretty much exactly as I had envisioned it! It is pretty and feminine, and even twirly. I have finally found and altered a vintage bodice to fit me that is very basic. That means that I can take that bodice and use it with a variety of skirts and a variety of embellishments and not have to think so much about fit. Even better, I was able to incorporate some old and new techniques in one garment.
So, what did I learn from this garment? As always, there is something! Everything is a learning experience. Just because something doesn't work for you the first time, remember at least you now know what *doesn't* work and you can set about finding something that does.
- I learned how to use heat-set rhinestones. There are about 300 or so in the project between the dress and vest.
- I learned to give myself plenty of time for deadlines. I had to put in some extra hours a few nights to get this ready for a show, when I probably should have declined the invitation for this particular garment.
- I learned to be patient and get the right materials to do the job right the first time. If I had, I wouldn't be replacing the white zipper with a purple one!