Or, what I've been doing this week beside photo shoots! Thank you for the compliments on the SWAP! If you haven't done one, they are an interesting challenge. Even if you do nothing but plan a SWAP, you'll learn a lot of valuable things about planning and designing a wardrobe in which all the pieces work together in terms of color and style. For more information, visit Timmel Fabrics and click on "All About SWAP".
It seems like I've spent more time in front of the camera this week instead of behind it and I'm sure you're tired of seeing me and would rather get a better look at what I've been making recently. Here are a few snippets of what has been going on in my sewing world this week:
- I'm working on a king size double wedding ring quilt for a client. I'm hoping to be done with it in 4 to 5 weeks, then it will need to sent out to have it quilted by a long arm quilter and then I'll need to bind it. It actually is a special request for a special person, as I normally don't make flat quilts. I haven't actually made a flat quilt in about 4 or 5 years! (I know, sacrilege, huh?) I'll show you that at some point in the future.
- Tonight I need to finish replacing the zipper in the FMK gown. I did get one that matches *perfectly*, and it is in at this point, but I still need to hand stitch all the linings down and prick stitch the top edge, plus check the bodice thoroughly for any missing rhinestones. I bought the zipper from Zipper Stop - check them out, because they have many more colors than Coats and Clark in both regular and invisible zippers.
- I've started a new ensemble for myself. It was supposed to be my Easter suit, but after realizing how much work it would be and how little time I had, I changed my plans and made a dress. The blouse is done, so look for that post next week, under the title, "The Easter Suit That Wasn't".
- I am almost ready to start a new art project, Ride 'Em Cowboy. I have most of the supplies, and have done my research and have ideas, but haven't yet started the artwork.
- I've been working on updating our school's athletic banners. These are the old school style wool felt banners. Here's one I made few years ago with our school logo:
- One last little project that helps to keep me occupied on my commute to school: making beaded, covered buttons. Being a school bus chaperone isn't bad! It gives me 1 1/2 hours each day to relax, read and stitch.
Parting Shot: Vintage Buttons. A friend of mine at church gave me these this week. They are from her great aunt's collection that she received when her great aunt died. There are more, but I've only photographed a few. My car keys are in there for size comparison; some of the buttons are fairly large, well over 1" in diameter. Among the lot was a real prize: an oval covered buckle form, unused! It is shown at the far right along with the precut adhesive that is stuck to the fabric to cut it in the correct shape and size.