Wednesday, December 13, 2006

American Beauty - Dress - Part VII

Here's the mock ups . . . .

First though, I had made *major* progress in the last few days. The inner corselette is done except for a few hooks and eyes and a little hand-stitching here and there! I am at the point where I can start assembly! Yeah! I will do a long post soon about the corselette and show all the insides and how I made it.

Once I get the lining, corselette and actual dress together, I need to work on the finishing details. That brings me to this post and some mock ups for you take a look at. Now that I've seen the pictures, I think I know what I'm going to do. That could change. I said "think", in case you didn't notice! Up first, the bust inset. The first picture shows it with the velvet and the second with the dupioni. The neckline will be a bit lower and the straps will actually be about 1" or so wide when they're done. The last picture is just a reference so you can see the whole effect, rather than just the neckline. BTW, the corselette is actually on the dressform under the dress, not that you could tell, but I figured I'd throw that detail in.



Second the back drape. The top one shows the drape in white with the rose overlay. The next one shows the drape as it would look if it were red. The flowers are not the ones that will be there, just ones for the mock-up, but you get the picture. I'm planning on small roses and a few more of them.


Well, there's choices. I managed to get through the post and not post my opinion, so what's yours and why? Also, is there something else I need to add or subtract?

5 comments:

Vicki-HKS said...

The dress is coming along beautifully. Before I comment, I have to say that my flat screen does not show photos as well as the regular type screens. But from what I see, I vote for:
Front: velvet insert. I think velvet would be more classy/elegant. The dupioni shouts a bit more "look at me".
Back: The white. The red IMHO is too large and attention seeking, and not needed as there is so much else going on. Also because it is bright it takes our eye away from all the delicate details - beading etc.

HTH, Vicki- HKS

patsijean said...

This is difficult. I keep wanting the dress to look like a very beautiful wearable garment. The velvet inset has more depth and highlight than the dupioni, so I would choose that. I am not so sure about the drape in back. Hate to see that beading covered. If you do decide to drape, consider the white (is that a sheer embroidered fabric?) I am afraid all that red in back would look heavy. And consider draping the drape. By that I mean a shallow scoop in back instead of a straight line across the waist. That would echo the neckline and the princess seams, and be a bit more graceful.
I hope you get this comment as posting on Blogger has been very difficult the last couple of days.

Anonymous said...

i like the velvet inset -- more depth and character. i don't like the red drape, looks tacked on as a last minute afterthought. the white looks more elegant.

Anonymous said...

Just MHO, but remember less is more.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the majority on this one! The velvet insert; white drape...if you must cover that spectacular beading....

I know this is for a competition, but do you ever expect to wear this? It'd be such a shame for so much careful, beautiful work to only be admired in a case or on a mannequin somewhere...